This medicine contains 0,05 mg/ml of the active ingredient azelastine hydrochloride, which belongs to a group of medicines called antiallergics (antihistamines). These medicines stop the effects of histamine (chemical produced in the body as part of an allergic reaction). Azelastine hydrochloride is used to treat and prevent seasonal and perennial allergic conjunctivitis, which cause red, watery and itchy eyes. Azelastine hydrochloride reduces the inflammation of the eye, but it should not be used for the treatment of eye infections.
Is Azelastine hydrochloride suitable for me?
Azelastine hydrochloride is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to azelastine hydrochloride or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant
- wear soft contact lenses
- are not sure whether your eye disorders are caused by an allergy
It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking. See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Azelastine hydrochloride?
This medicine is available in form of eye drops.
You should use azelastine hydrochloride exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for seasonal and perennial conjunctivitis is one drop in each eye in the morning and in the evening. According to your needs, doctor can increase the dose to one drop in each eye, up to four times a day.
- It should not be used for more than 6 weeks.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Azelastine hydrochloride side effects?
Like all medicines azelastine hydrochloride can cause side effects, including:
- slight irritation (burning, itching, watering) in the eyes
- blurred vision, eye discomfort, redness
- a bitter taste in your mouth
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.